1. Do you have real gladness today? Psa. 51:8
2. The pepsodent smile of a salesman is not a sign of real joy.
3. Many people pay dearly each month to a doctor or psychiatrist and yet do not find joy.
4. Many church people put on a smile when attend church.
I. THE WAY TO GLADNESS
1. Love righteousness
(1) What it is not.
A. Accepting righteousness as a way of life - like income tax.
B. Doing righteousness as a duty - like Pharisees.
(2) What it is - 'Thou hast loved righteousness"
A. To love is more than doing or accepting - Rev. 2:2-4
B. Examples of loving righteousness - Psalm 1:2; 122:1; 130:6.
2. Hate iniquity
(1) What it is not
A. Talking against sin - even a drunk man does that.
B. Merely to leave it alone because you know of its hurtful effects.
(2) What it is - "hated iniquity"
A. To hate is more than to talk against or refrain from.
B. Examples of hating iniquity.
(b) David - Psalm 119:113 - "I hate vain thoughts"
(c) Jesus-John 2:13-17
C. Some hate iniquity as seen in others but not in own life.
II. THE AUTHOR OF GLADNESS - "GOD, EVEN THY GOD"
1. Not worked up by man..
2. Not received through circumstances of life.
A. Wealth - many wealthy men unhappy.
B. Praise and honor - ex. Marilyn Monroe.
3. Not obtained by heredity - temperament.
4. It is a gift of God.
A. Just like salvation is.
B. Just like home in heaven is.
5. The gladness that God gives is not fleeting like taste of candy.
(1) Isa. 61:1-3.
III. THE STATE OF GLADNESS
1. It is called "oil of gladness"
(1) Oil gives vitality and life.
(2) Oil cuts down on the friction and heated parts.
(3) Oil renews strength Neh. 8:10.
2. The extent of this gladness - Jude 24.
SERMON FROM DR. ESTUS PIRKLE- LOCUST GROVE
BAPTIST CHURCH- NEW ALBANY, MS.-USA