AMERICA - TAKE HEED TO GODS ROAR
Text: Amos 3:1-4:3
Consider Americas declining popularity in the world today. This would be all right if God were still for us. This message is intended to show that even God is showing that He is against us also. The people who first heard this message heeded it not.
I. THE PEOPLE TO WHOM THE MESSAGE IS DIRECTED - v.v. 1-3.
1.Gods chosen people.
(1) "You only have I known of all the families of the earth.
(2) Deut. 32:8.
2. People with whom God had walked.
3. People who were now walking contrary to God and to whom God is now walking contrary.
(1) Statement in v. 3 - "Can two walk together except they be agreed?"
A. Once Israel (and America) walked in harmony with God.
(a) Concerning His Word - of prime importance.
(b) Concerning His day - considered sacred and revered.
(c) Concerning His morals - to be upheld.
B. Now Israel (and America) walking in a contrary way.
(a) Concerning His Word.
(b) Concerning His day.
(c) Concerning His morals.
(d) Concerning His church.
C. The way God is walking is the same as He has always walked.
(2) When Gods people walk contrary to Him they will find out that He can walk seven times more contrary than they. Lev. 26:23-24.
II. THE REASON FOR GODS ROARING - v.v. 4-8.
1. The fact that God has sounded his alarm siren is evidence that God and His people are not walking together.
(1) Many then and now believe that God is still for us.
(2) If so, then what is the purpose for which God is sounding His siren warning?
2. Compare this with other alarm sounds.
(1) A roaring lion - v. 4
A. Does a lion spend his time going through the forest roaring?
B. Does he not save his roar for the time just prior to the devouring of his prey?
(2) A screaming bird - v. 5
A. Does a bird give a cry of distress all the time?
B. Does it not save its scream for the time when it is ensnared?
(3) A siren in a city - v. 6
A. Does an ambulance turn on its siren every time it goes down the road?
B. Does it not reserve its siren until there is a time of danger?
(4) Does it seem logical that God would go through a country with His siren on if there were no real danger near?
3. The prophet is Gods siren to His people - v.v. 7-8
(1) God reveals to His prophets when it is time to blow a warning.
(2) This puts a tremendous responsibility on Gods prophets. Ezek. 3:17-21.
(3) Many people try to stop Gods prophets from blowing their sirens because they get on their nerves.
III. THE REALITY OF GODS ROARING - v. 8:4:6-12
1. The statement of the fact - v. 8
(1) "The lion hath roared, who will not fear?"
(2) "The Lord God hath spoken, who can but prophesy?"
2. The actuality to Israel - 4:6-12
(1) Famine - clean teeth - 4:6
(2) Drought - no rain- 4:7-8
(3) Agriculture failure - 4:9
(4) Pestilence and war - 4:10
(5) Divine judgment by fire on some - 4:11
(6) A promise of worse to come - 4:12
3. The actuality to America
(1) Assassination of President Kennedy
(2) Korean conflict
(3) Vietnam war
(4) Earthquake in largest state - Alaska
(5) Hurricane in one of Souths largest cities - New Orleans
(6) Snow tie-up in second largest city - Chicago
(7) What next?
4. Woe be to us when the roaring stops and the tearing begins.
IV. THE AFTERMATH OF THE ROARING - v.v. 9-4:3
1. Heathen nations are called to behold it. V.9.
(1) Some think that for God to punish America would be bad publicity for Him in communist countries.
(2) Note Gods call to the heathen here to behold Him punish His people.
2. The destruction is described.
(1) As complete
A. Only pieces left - v.v. 11-12
B. Nine out of ten destroyed - 5:3
C. Big and little houses ruined - 3:15; 6:11
D. Hooks to be put in womens noses - 4:2-3
(2) As including places of worship - v. 14
3. The cause for the destruction - v. 10
(1) Stated - "For they know not to do right."
A. In scheduling time for Gods work - revivals, prayer meetings, etc.
B. In putting Gods rules to work in their daily lives and habits.
C. In finding time to read and study Gods Word.
D. In feeding emotions on things of God.
E. In using money for God.
F. In surrendering to Gods will for life.
DR. ESTUS PIRKLE - LOCUST GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH -
NEW ALBANY, MS - USA