1. Hebrew means to renew or bring back to a place once enjoyed.
2. There is the doctrine of restoration taught in the Bible.
3. The word "Meshibah" "restoreth" is translated in Psalm
B. Three phases of restoration.
2. To the fold.
3. To the fellowship.
1. Break the leg of habitual strayer to break it of the habit.
1. When wandering in sin.
2. When weakening in service.
3. When wilting in self.
Peter was restored by a look. David was restored by judgment. Abraham was restored by
1. Where he leads us. Paths of righteousness. (Titus 2:11-12)
2. Why he leads us. For his name sake.
a. Soberly. World within; thoughts, tongue, temper.
b. Righteously. World without; we are to manifest practically what we are
judicially in heaven.
c. Godly. World above; seek those things above. (Colossians 3:1)
B. Paths. Not rest, but progress.
1. What the Christian life is like: a "walk", "run",
"step", "path", "way".
2. It may not always seem right. "All paths of the Lord are mercy and truth."
3. Short cuts often prove the longest way around. "God led them not through the
way of the Philistines,
C. Some paths have a dead end. But his paths are paths of:
3. Refreshment. Water and grass.
4. Rigor. Through the valley.
D. For his name sake. (Philippians 2:9-10; John 17:12)
1. God has connected his name and glory with the walk and conduct of his people.
a. My salvation is tied up with him. ("None of them is lost.") He will keep
his sheep, for it is a calamity, a shame for a shepherd to lose a sheep.
b. The Shepherd's reputation is at stake. For a shepherd who permitted a stray Iamb to
perish is a disgrace, even for years afterwards. (Luke 1 5:4-6, "Ninety and
1. Jehovah-Rohi; The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23:1
2. Jehovah-Shalom; The Lord who is or gives peace. Psalm 23:2 (Judges 6:24)
3. Jehovah-Rapha; The Lord the physician. Psalm 23:3 (Exodus 15:26)
4. Jehovah-Tsidkenu; The Lord our Righteousness. Psalm 23:3 (Jeremiah 23:6)
5. Jehovah-Shammah; The Lord is there, the tabernacle of God with men. Psalm 23:4 (Ezekiel 48:35)
6. Jehovah-Nissi; The Lord my banner. Psalm 23:5 (Exodusi 7:15)
7. Jehovah-Jireh; The Lord who provides. Psalm 23:6 (Genesis 22:14)